Saturday, October 4, 2008

Of crochet and hems

Today was one of those days I had trouble getting dressed. It wasn't cool enough to wear a jacket, and wasn't warm enough to ditch the stockings. None of my clothes wanted to cooperate. I had to change my outfit about five times before I would leave the house...

creamcrochet

One thing I've learnt through years of op shopping is how important lengths and hemlines are. Being short, many clothes absolutely swamp me in length. And most vintage clothes tend to err on the long frumpy looking side, needing serious hemming. This floral dress started life mid-calf length and looked sadly late 90's, but it got a quick hem job and now I'm really glad I gave it a chance.

creamcrochet2

This cream crochet jumper came from a tiny op shop in Williamstown, and actually has elbow length sleeves. Sleeves which would suit someone tall and willowy, but look absolutely awful on me. I was on the verge of boomeranging it back to the op shop (but I loved the scalloped crochet pattern far too much) when on a whim decided to roll up the sleeves, and now it's far more wearable.

Photobucket

Being unable to shop for new clothes this year, means that I've had to broaden my sights when I'm op shopping - meaning that now everything gets scrutinized as to its chop-ability... and my sewing machine is getting much more of a work out than it used to.

creamcrochetcamera


Dress: second hand from K-mart
Jumper: vintage from Williamstown op shop
Tights: my sisters old school tights... they are starting to wear a bit thin!
Shoes: vintage from Port Fairy op shop
Belt: my mum's belt from the '70s
Camera: my dad's vintage Smena

7 comments:

Jen said...

You look super cute and i spyed your cute little camera and thought it was i Diana (i really really want one!!) but alas it wasnt. But its still cute and i still want it!!

esme and the laneway said...

I love the skirt and belted cardi! It's really interesting how things in op shops become more attractive at times like this...

I am, erm, petite (short) and just recently wore a mid calf skirt for the first time (thinking surely it wouldn't work)... and I think I liked it!

thevintageyear said...

The Paper Doll: I'm not sure what an i Diana is, but this camera is tricky, I'm still figuring out how it works! I haven't yet developed any film with it yet.

Esme and the laneway: I'm definitely going to have to be braver with mid-calf length in the future, just have to work up the courage!

Missa said...

Adorable outfit, your modifications worked wonderfully!

Andrea Eames said...

This looks great! I know those days when nothing seems to work ... am impressed that you found such a pretty solution.

I'm actually quite a fan of mid-calf-length dresses, but they have to be a particular shape. This floral skirt looks lovely short.

Kate Moore said...

Love, love, love this outfit.

Anonymous said...

How do you get a second-hand dress from k-mart? I have never known k-mart to sell second hand stuff.