Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Wind, hail and sunshine

Sunday involved wind, rain, sunshine, a haircut and a lovely early evening dinner at a city restaurant.

brownplaid

I was inspired to finally watch The Painted Veil after seeing one of Casey's posts. All those dropped waists, ruffles and quaint collars... I love the flapper look. Am absolutely in lust with Naomi's hair in the movie too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This dress is not from the '20s but is courtesy of my mum from the '70s. I love the plaid - it's such a crazy mesh of colours that shouldn't work, but do. The photo below shows in closer detail - I mean, brown/orange/aqua and purple?!? Who would've thought?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The necklace is from Drink me, Alice. Last year, I acquired many of these beautiful treasures from Melbourne-based Alicia, both as gifts and self-purchased. This year, I'm on a hiatus from even visiting the site, as I'd be sorely tempted to break my not buying any new jewellery rule. It's still bookmarked though!


Dress: vintage from my mum
Jacket: Kinki Gerlinki from 2005
Necklace: Drink me, Alice
Tights: can't remember
Boots: ebay

7 comments:

SHIZUKA said...

i love the styling within your photo! cool cool design !

Anonymous said...

Gosh I love your dress - you're totally right that those colours shouldn't work but they're so appealing!

And I love your necklace too - I should really check out Drink Me Alice more often :D

esme and the laneway said...

Oh my gosh what an amazing dress! I love the colours, too.

Missa said...

Cool dress! Love the dropwaist, colors, and the pleats :)

Jen said...

What a cute dress - i wish my mum had kept her clothes!! Im jealous :)

Anonymous said...

I love a crazy mix of colours. Your dress is awesome, love the top bit with the frills.

thevintageyear said...

heartofpearl: thank you!

Karen: You really should, someone definitely has to buy some of the new Drink Me Alice designs so I can live vicariously through them ;)

Esme: yes it is, the colours are just too brilliant.

Missa: I love the drop waist, they usually don't even suit me but I think in this dress there is so much else going on it distracts from any unflattering-ness!

The Paper Doll: My mum is a hoarder like me! This is not always a Good Thing!

Strike match: the ruffles are so cool, there is so much going on in this dress it should look hideous, but somehow doesn't. Which I love!